Campbell County
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 329 on 4th July 2021, 4:18 am
Top posting users this month
No user

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Lazy Homeschoolers

4 posters

Go down

Lazy Homeschoolers Empty Lazy Homeschoolers

Post by orangie 16th January 2013, 9:16 pm

I was unsure where to put this topic. Since it has to do with education, I put it here. So, here it goes. Many of the homeschooling community where I live do not give their kids a good education. They'll only do one subject, such as math. These kids aren't ever going to be able to go to college because they can't write or read very well. I'm worried that these people are the ones that are going to get homeschooling banned in the US because of extremely low test scores. I read about parents who do a good job educating their kids. But I'm not seeing it where I live. I know that the majority of the CCers that come one here every day are homeschoolers. Is it this way in your homeschooling community? Okay, I'm done with my rant, now.
orangie
orangie

Location : I'm not at liberty to discuss this with anyone. That means you.

Back to top Go down

Lazy Homeschoolers Empty Re: Lazy Homeschoolers

Post by Sko 16th January 2013, 9:48 pm

I'm homeschooled, and my siblings are also homeschooled. I manage all my own stuff, and my mom just makes sure I'm doing what I need to do to meet the state's education requirements. I don't know anybody who'd fit the description you're giving.

It doesn't surprise me that someone would use homeschooling as an excuse to be lazy, but I still think it's a very dumb idea. Education isn't really optional in our world today.

If homeschooling gets banned, I think it would be an example of overkill. You're fixing the lazy parents problem, but you're hurting students like me.

I can't do public school. I learn best by doing things on my own. Big groups slow me down.
Sko
Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanCummings 17th January 2013, 10:28 am

Lots of people homeschool, but not everyone homeschools the same way. For example, some kids might have to complete a 3 page essay on George Washington as part of their writing assignment. However, my writing assignments are a bit different.

Instead of writing about a topic my mom decides on, I actually write for real world people. For example, I am currently writing a book discussion on Brock Eastman's book, Risk. Each day, I write one or two paragraphs about one of the book chapters, plus some insights or thoughts I might have, and I get to post it on his blog!!! I have been doing this for about a month now, and I am currently on chapter 31 of 52. I have done plenty of other writing for Brock Eastman, including other book discussions, and researching his past books for information so he can accurately write his newer books.

But anyway, what I am trying to get at is this. Homeschoolers might do things a lot differently than "formal school" does. Take my writing job as an example. If I were in school, and I told my writing teacher that I was actually doing writing for Brock Eastman, along with writing script for my podcast, writing newsletter/ weekly news for the CC, writing thought out articles for my blog, etc., he probably wouldn't say, "OH! That is awesome! I am cancelling your writing assignment, because you are already writing in the real world!!!".

So basically what I am saying is that for some homeschoolers, it might look like they don't do very much "formal" schooling, because their schoolwork for the day is only a math lesson. But homeschooling doesn't mean you do everything exactly like the schoolroom, only at home. If we took what schools do, and just did it at home, that would defeat the purpose of not going to school. Homeschooling is about constantly learning, not just shoving info into our brains for 8 hours. Homeschooling is about parents teaching the kids life lessons and morals, along with getting an education.

Now I am not saying there aren't lazy homeschoolers out there. I am just saying that I know a lot of homeschoolers who, if you were to ask them what science book they are using, they wouldn't be able to tell you. Why? Because as homeschoolers, we aren't confined to curriculum. As for me, we actually have a book called LightBearers, and another book (can't remember it's name) that we learn science from, but the LightBearers book is more about worldview, and has lots of science teaching in it as well. So we have science in our school day, we just don't learn it the way that public school would teach it.

Now, I know this has been a long post about this, but all I am really saying is that what really matters in the end, is whether you got something out of your school experience. If a kid goes through school life having to cram for tests, and not really getting through them in the long run, and then grows up and can't remember how to do Algebra 2 problems because he just "got through" tests but didn't actually study and figure out how to do the problems, he didn't get much from his experience, and can't really get into college. If a homeschooler grows up wanting to write, and gets tons of writing experience, and then uses that writing experience to get a job freelancing, I would say he got more out of school than the other kid, and in the end, doesn't need to go to college anyway because he has a job.

So yeah, now I am done ranting. tongue

RyanCummings
RyanCummings
Campbell County General Manager
Campbell County General Manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftershocker 17th January 2013, 1:10 pm

I read the title of this topic and I just had to post this:

Spoiler:
Aftershocker
Aftershocker

Back to top Go down

Post by orangie 17th January 2013, 3:34 pm

RyanCummings wrote:Lots of people homeschool, but not everyone homeschools the same way. For example, some kids might have to complete a 3 page essay on George Washington as part of their writing assignment. However, my writing assignments are a bit different.

Instead of writing about a topic my mom decides on, I actually write for real world people. For example, I am currently writing a book discussion on Brock Eastman's book, Risk. Each day, I write one or two paragraphs about one of the book chapters, plus some insights or thoughts I might have, and I get to post it on his blog!!! I have been doing this for about a month now, and I am currently on chapter 31 of 52. I have done plenty of other writing for Brock Eastman, including other book discussions, and researching his past books for information so he can accurately write his newer books.

But anyway, what I am trying to get at is this. Homeschoolers might do things a lot differently than "formal school" does. Take my writing job as an example. If I were in school, and I told my writing teacher that I was actually doing writing for Brock Eastman, along with writing script for my podcast, writing newsletter/ weekly news for the CC, writing thought out articles for my blog, etc., he probably wouldn't say, "OH! That is awesome! I am cancelling your writing assignment, because you are already writing in the real world!!!".

So basically what I am saying is that for some homeschoolers, it might look like they don't do very much "formal" schooling, because their schoolwork for the day is only a math lesson. But homeschooling doesn't mean you do everything exactly like the schoolroom, only at home. If we took what schools do, and just did it at home, that would defeat the purpose of not going to school. Homeschooling is about constantly learning, not just shoving info into our brains for 8 hours. Homeschooling is about parents teaching the kids life lessons and morals, along with getting an education.

Now I am not saying there aren't lazy homeschoolers out there. I am just saying that I know a lot of homeschoolers who, if you were to ask them what science book they are using, they wouldn't be able to tell you. Why? Because as homeschoolers, we aren't confined to curriculum. As for me, we actually have a book called LightBearers, and another book (can't remember it's name) that we learn science from, but the LightBearers book is more about worldview, and has lots of science teaching in it as well. So we have science in our school day, we just don't learn it the way that public school would teach it.

Now, I know this has been a long post about this, but all I am really saying is that what really matters in the end, is whether you got something out of your school experience. If a kid goes through school life having to cram for tests, and not really getting through them in the long run, and then grows up and can't remember how to do Algebra 2 problems because he just "got through" tests but didn't actually study and figure out how to do the problems, he didn't get much from his experience, and can't really get into college. If a homeschooler grows up wanting to write, and gets tons of writing experience, and then uses that writing experience to get a job freelancing, I would say he got more out of school than the other kid, and in the end, doesn't need to go to college anyway because he has a job.

So yeah, now I am done ranting. tongue

I get what your saying and I think its awesome you're getting writing experience by writing for Brock Eastman. I'm not saying that homeschoolers have to be traditional like the public schools. I'm really frustrated right now because the homeschooling community where I live doesn't teach their kids the stuff they need to know in the real world. I mean, I can only point out one family who actually teaches their kids all subjects that they actually need to know. And we have a pretty large homeschoolers group where I live.

I'm not saying that homeschoolers are doing a bad job when they don't do it the traditional way. I'm,also, not saying there is only one way to homeschool and that every other way is bad. Sometimes instead of doing history, we'll go on a field trip to learn about bees. Or instead of chemistry, we'll learn how to bake bread.

All I'm asking is that these parents teach their kids what they need to know. But they aren't. That's why I'm so frustrated.

I
orangie
orangie

Location : I'm not at liberty to discuss this with anyone. That means you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sko 17th January 2013, 5:32 pm

orangie wrote:All I'm asking is that these parents teach their kids what they need to know. But they aren't. That's why I'm so frustrated. I

I think the same way. The end result of education should be a competent level of knowledge, no matter how you go about getting it.
Sko
Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum