Campbell County
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 329 on 4th July 2021, 4:18 am
Top posting users this month
No user

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

The Fault in our Stars

3 posters

Go down

The Fault in our Stars Empty The Fault in our Stars

Post by Sko 5th June 2013, 11:41 pm

I recently read The Fault in our Stars by John Green, after watching his videos on YouTube for a while.

It's essentially a love story of two teenagers who both have terminal illnesses.

The novel is set in Indianapolis, where I live, which was interesting. Places I've actually been, even sometimes quite recently, are mentioned in the book. That's kinda cool. Places like the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Holliday Park, and even, I kid you not, the food court in a mall I recently visited with some friends. Wow. Neutral

I mean, what are the chances of that? The exact same food court and everything.

The story is pretty simple at first, but defies simplicity when you start looking at it. Hazel Grace Lancaster has a terminal form of cancer that will probably kill her in a few years, if not sooner. In her own words, she's "doing okay". Then she meets Augustus Waters, and they go on an adventure trying to contact the writer of a book they both love.

Only catch is, they're both broke, travel would be dangerous for Hazel, possibly life threateningly so, and this writer just happens to live in the Netherlands which doesn't exactly make it a walk in the part.

They do manage to get there, though. After that, things fall apart. I won't spoil the rest of the story for anyone who wants to read it, but I have to say that this trip messes stuff up as much as it makes things better.

There's no happy ending to be found, but you can't really expect one. I thought it was a good story, very interesting, and well written. Yes, I found a typo in it. Improper plural possessive form, I forget what page. But anyways, it was pretty good.

My only complaint is the use of profanity. That's why I can't recommend it to everybody. The F-word's used once, on page 245, and various other "lower" profanity is sprinkled throughout the book. Pretty disappointing, in my opinion. To be fair, it is a novel, and I suppose you could grant it some kinda artistic slack or something. But I still don't like it.

Would I read it again? Yes. I would. I probably don't have time to (I spent all afternoon reading it cover to cover, literacy is awesome), but I'd like to later.

I'm giving The Fault in our Stars four stars. No pun intended, I assure you.

The profanity ruins it to some extent, but the story is so good that I just can't give it a three.
Sko
Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

The Fault in our Stars Empty Re: The Fault in our Stars

Post by Thor's Hammer 6th June 2013, 1:30 pm

Sound interesting to me. Though I can't read books with bad words. Policy of this house.

Thor's Hammer

Back to top Go down

Post by Samansa14 6th June 2013, 3:02 pm

Thor's Hammer wrote:Sound interesting to me. Though I can't read books with bad words. Policy of this house.

Yes Same here. Though it sounds like an enjoyable read, apart from the few rather unenjoyable things.
Samansa14
Samansa14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sko 6th June 2013, 3:07 pm

Samantha14 wrote:
Thor's Hammer wrote:Sound interesting to me. Though I can't read books with bad words. Policy of this house.

Yes Same here. Though it sounds like an enjoyable read, apart from the few rather unenjoyable things.

Yeah. I hate how the profanity just ruins a really good book.
Sko
Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down