Campbell County
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 329 on 4th July 2021, 4:18 am
Top posting users this month
No user

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Moving Campbell County...

+18
Metal15
Aftershocker
Maria
KF
Jesusfreak97
godisawesomeness99
Sunshine
Amarinda
Renae
Agent 86
Bren
sing 4 joy
Sko
AudPod
capeng
Thor's Hammer
NarniaQA Guy
Eugene
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Moving Campbell County... - Page 3 Empty Moving Campbell County...

Post by Eugene 11th July 2013, 3:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello, everyone! Long time no speak. Tongue out

I haven't been around very much, but I haven't been sitting on my hands. In fact, I want to tell you about what Bren and I have been up to.

Right now, our lovely little forum is currently hosted by Forumotion - a free service. It works fairly well but it has many limitations that drive us nuts. We also can't customize it very easily. All of the custom stuff requires lots of time to create and update since it's all manually managed through code. This causes us to often focus too much on the technical side of things and less on the community activities.

One idea that we have been touting ever since the days of the Electric Palace is to have our own board that we have complete control over. Right now, I have some server space on which we can install our own copy of phpBB to host Campbell County. And we are willing to spend the money for our domain name. Bren and I have been testing this very thing in recent weeks. We want to see how well it would work for us, and so far it looks very promising!

But there is one serious drawback that accompanies all the great things about this plan...

The most frustrating and saddening restriction of Forumotion is that we cannot export any of the forums, topics, and posts for us to import into our own board. This means that if we move, we will have to start fresh. We won't have any of our old topics around. To soften the blow, we would keep this account open for reference and posterity, similar to the way we keep the Electric Palace around as an archive.

Besides that fact, there aren't any other major drawbacks. We are seriously considering this plan and are anxious for your feedback! Below I have two lists; one for pros, the other for cons. (Feel free to point out more pros and cons.) Read through them and please let us know what you think about this whole endeavor!! We need your thoughts and questions before we decide to go through with this move. It is our community, afterall. We all get to make this decision together.

If you need more information or have specific questions about the move, then just ask. I will be happy to answer your questions!

Pros:

Cons:

Last edited by Eugene on 11th July 2013, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added two pros)
Eugene
Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

https://matthewbird.ca/

Back to top Go down

Moving Campbell County... - Page 3 Empty Re: Moving Campbell County...

Post by CD333 24th October 2013, 5:21 pm

The only serious one would be losing all the work we have put into this place.  Not having our old posts would be to bad of we can still access them. 
I think it is almost all good.
CD333
CD333

http://odysseyblog.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3